LG&T Tournament director says cancellation was the ‘right decision’

first_img“We are very excited that is still going fourth and that is in the works and should be done in time for the 2021 event,” says Bowen. “It’s definitely disappointing, it has become family for us,” says LG&T Tournament Director, Laurie Bowen. This year’s tournament was scheduled for July 20-26, so after the ATP shutdown tournaments through late July, there was no other option. Bowen and her staff will now get a jump start on preparing the 2021 tournament. Bowen said despite the ATP forcing their cancellation, the tournament had worries of their own. Bowmen says the players aren’t locked in until weeks before the tournament so that won’t create an issue. As far as the sponsors are concerned, they have been in place since the fall. The biggest issue with the cancellation is that no money will be poured into the tournament this summer. Organizers says they were concerned for the safety and health of the players, sponsors and volunteers. “I think we’re going to be okay, we planned in general to be okay through the tournament before receiving any new money in sponsorship or support,” Bowen says. Bowen told 12 News that once July rolls around they still plan on going through with construction that will build new courts for the 2021 tournament. The courts will be built in the memory of Harper Stantz. “Like” Jacob Seus on Facebook and “Follow” him on Twitter. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) – On Friday, the 27th edition of the Levene Gouldin & Thompson Tennis Challenger was canceled due to concerns with the coronavirus. “What they say goes, we really didn’t have a choice,” Bowen says/last_img read more

Popple Hill Bridge to close for emergency construction

first_imgOfficials say this is to allow for “emergency repair.” LISLE (WBNG) — The Popple Hill Road Bridge will be closed to traffic to allow for construction. Traffic will be diverted and a detour route will be posted.center_img Broome County officials say the bridge will be closed from July 21 at 7 a.m. to July 24 at 4 p.m.last_img

Windsor Central Middle School to provide supplies for students for upcoming school year

first_imgWhile students will be allowed to purchase their own supplies if they would like, every student, regardless of financial status, will have access to the same resources. “For many families, it’s an exciting time, an annual tradition,” said Strahley. “For others, it’s a real economic hardship.” “To ensure that every learner, no matter what your socioeconomic status is, to have the tools necessary to succeed,” said Strahley. “We offer students textbooks, we offer them Chromebooks, we even offer them food,” said Windsor Central Middle School Principal Kevin Strahley. “Why wouldn’t we offer them notebooks, pens, and things like that?” Even before the COVID-19 pandemic began, Strahley had this idea while he was shopping for supplies with his own children. Last year, he and other school officials restructured the school’s annual budget, allocating available funds to purchasing school supplies for every student. According to the National Retail Federation, the average planned spending for back-to-school shopping is nearly $800 per household. Since the school restructured their budget, those supplies will not come at any additional cost to the taxpayer. center_img “It seemed like the right thing to do, and obviously the right time to do it,” said Strahley. Strahley says he has seen students without the necessary supplies, so he wants to level the playing field this upcoming school year. “We are part of a regional bulk purchasing conglomerate for all the districts. We get the school supplies at a fraction of the cost that the consumers pay,” said Strahley. Now, Windsor Central Middle School officials are looking to change things for the upcoming year, putting money back into parents’ wallets. (WBNG) — Back-to-school shopping can be an exciting time for many, but for some, it can be a serious financial burden. last_img read more

Binghamton men’s basketball set to tip off Dec. 5

first_imgVESTAL (WBNG) — The Binghamton men’s basketball team will begin its non-conference schedule Saturday, December 5. The schedule has been revised a number of times, and the current schedule is subject to change depending on COVID-19 protocols. Fans are not allowed to be in attendance. Games will be broadcast on ESPN+ or ESPN 3. Following the home opener, the men will head to Marist Sunday, December 6. They return home to host Quinnipiac Saturday, December 12 at 2 p.m. The Bearcats are set to begin conference play the weekend beforehand, as they host Stony Brook Saturday and Sunday December 19-20. The Bearcats will host MAAC member Marist, for a 2 p.m. tip-off. Binghamton’s fourth non-conference game is a home game against Canisius on Tuesday, December 22. last_img