IHSAA blocks changes to state basketball tournament

first_imgThe state basketball tournament remains the same for local schools like Franklin County. (Image: Hoosier Temple/Twitter)INDIANAPOLIS – A proposed change to the state high school basketball tournament was voted down by IHSAA executives Monday.The committee agreed unanimously (17-0) against the measure that was presented to them in August by a study committee made up of representatives from Indiana Basketball Coaches Association, the Indiana Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association,  the IHSAA Board of Directors and IHSAA staff.The proposal, which would have begun with the 2015-16 school year, called for the largest 64 schools by enrollment to make up Class 4A. Sixteen sectionals would have been played with four teams each and all games played on Saturday.The remaining schools in Classes 3A,2A and 1A would have been evenly distributed with seven or eight schools per sectional and played in a Tuesday-Wednesday-Friday-Saturday format.Additional portions called for the IHSAA staff to determine host sites at each level of the state tournament with the same site hosting both years of the alignment window. In recent years, school administrators within each sectional have determined the host site with some rotation between schools“I want to commend the Executive Committee for their thoughtful deliberations surrounding the basketball tournament format proposals,” IHSAA Commissioner Bobby Cox said following the meeting.“The Committee entertained two different proposals throughout this process and in the final analysis, those varied proposals did not significantly improve the current tournament format.  While the Association is not presently modifying the four class tournament, several salient points were raised during the conversations and those objectives will be considered during the next reclassification and realignment exercise which will occur in April of 2015.”last_img read more

Mourinho stresses Blues commitment

first_img “No, it is impossible in football,” he said, when asked if this would be his last club. “Impossible. Modern football, impossible. “I think (Arsene Wenger, who has been at Arsenal since 1996, will be the last to be manager of same club for that period of time). I think so. “I think it is very, very impossible. I think it’s very, very difficult for that to happen.” Whatever happens down the line, Mourinho will forever by synonymous with Chelsea – much like Steven Gerrard at Sunday’s opponents Liverpool. The Blues manager is looking forward to facing his “dear enemy” for one last time before the midfielder starts a new chapter in Major League Soccer with the Los Angeles Galaxy. Mourinho will be looking to ruin the latest stop on his farewell tour, though, and again frustrate Reds boss Brendan Rodgers. The Northern Irishman has come under pressure of late and last week a group of fans flew a plane over Anfield reading ‘Rodgers out, Rafa in’. “Some guy is spending money on the plane,” Mourinho said, laughing at the stunt. “If one plane comes to Stamford Bridges saying ‘Jose Out’ I send a drone! “I think the pressure is the same for everyone, except for the ones that are playing in the mid-table,” he continued. “But the ones fighting for clear objectives – being champions or finish fourth or not relegation – for these people, the last couple of months are very hard. “That doesn’t justify our bad reactions, but the pressure is there for everyone.” The old adage about never going back has seemingly been disproved by Mourinho, with the Portuguese last weekend leading the Blues to a first Premier League title in five years. The league crown complemented March’s Capital One Cup triumph and looks to be just the start of a period of dominance in west London. After fleeting, successful spells at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid, Mourinho is ready to put down roots and is committed to Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea for the long term. “That’s what I want. That’s what I want,” he said. “I didn’t say it at Inter because I didn’t want. I didn’t stay at Real because I didn’t want. “I want to stay here. I want to stay here. That is why I say I am in Mr Abamovich’s hands… he has no pressure. “He doesn’t need to give me a contract tomorrow. He doesn’t need to give me more money. “He doesn’t need to be worried that some club is knocking on my door. He doesn’t have to be worried with anything. It’s just him. “When he wants me, I am staying. When he doesn’t want me, I am going. So simple for him, so simple for me.” Mourinho still has two years left on his current deal and many expect that to be extended sooner or later. Certainly few could ever see the Portuguese managing another English side, although he admits there is likely to be another club job after finishing up with Chelsea. Press Association Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants to create a dynasty at Stamford Bridge, but says it is unlikely to be his last job in club management. last_img read more

Chelsea-Fulham game to go ahead

first_imgThe Boxing Day derby between Chelsea and Fulham will go ahead as as planned despite a proposed strike on the London Underground.Arsenal are considering moving their match against Wolves to the following day, and Chelsea announced that they too were assessing the situation.As well as a possible tube strike, limited Christmas-period rail services will mean fans could struggle to get to Stamford Bridge for the game, which kicks off at 1pm.AdChoices广告But after consulting London Transport and the Metropolitan Police, Chelsea decided against postponing the match.Follow West London Sport on Twitterlast_img