Flower shop preps for holiday

first_imgValentine’s Day is right around the corner, but the student managers at Irish Gardens have been preparing for the flower-heavy holiday for more than two months. Planning for the busiest business week of the year for the completely student-run, independent floral shop began in December, general manager Krystal Hentges said. On an average business day, Irish Gardens places approximately $100 in flower orders, but Hentges said that figure jumps to nearly $1,000 per day during the Valentine’s Day boom. “First, we evaluate sales from the previous year and come up with a fun slogan,” Hentges said. “I placed our flower product order in January.” Hentges said this year’s slogan is “You can’t escape puppy love,” and the annual flower shipment, which includes some new floral arrangement offerings, arrived Monday at its location in the basement of the LaFortune Student Center. “This year, I wanted to mix up the bouquets we have offered in previous years and one I’m really excited about has lilies and hydrangeas,” Hentges said. But the delivery of 38 boxes of flowers only marks the beginning of the hectic days leading up to Feb. 14, she said. “Amidst boys coming in to place last-minute orders, we spend the next two days processing the flowers,” Hentges said. “We get them out of the … boxes they come in, clip them, get them in water and organize them.” Hentges said Valentine’s Day festivities really begin today when the Irish Gardens staff spends hours making all the preordered flower arrangements for distribution Thursday. “Last year, we worked from 10 [a.m.] until 9 [p.m.] making all the arrangements,” she said. “It’s a lot of work, but it is so much fun.” On the day of the holiday, Hentges said the store is busy with deliveries, pickups and last-minute orders. Despite the chaos, Hentges said the staff’s hard work results in beautiful final products. “It is amazing to see some of the work that comes out of the shop. It is so gorgeous,” she said. “It does not even feel like I am working when I am the shop, because it is such a fun and creative outlet.” Hentges said Irish Gardens staff members enjoy working during the busy holiday season, even if it means longer hours in the shop. “It’s the one time of the year that everyone is in the shop, and it is a big bonding experience,” she said. “It is a huge learning experience for the staff. It’s awesome to see everyone improve so drastically and becomes more confident in their ability.” Senior employee Katie Melloh said her first Valentine’s season in the shop has been busier than expected. “I was abroad last spring. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but I haven’t had a free moment the past two days while at work,” she said. “It’s been really crazy, but a lot of fun.” More than the personal satisfaction the staff draws from working during Valentine’s Day, Hentges said helping students celebrate the holiday with flowers makes all the work worth it. “I can never decide which part of working at Irish Gardens is my favorite, helping the customers or making the arrangements. It’s so fun to help guys find that perfect arrangement. … It’s a process because most guys come in completely clueless,” Hentges said. “Once they come to a decision, it really is exciting when they feel confident in their choice and hopefully aren’t scared of coming in anymore.” Irish Gardens will be open today until 7 p.m. and will open for business Thursday from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. while supplies last. For more information on pricing and Valentine’s Day specials, visit flowershop.nd.edu. Contact Katie McCarty at kmccar16@nd.edulast_img read more

Spectator who racially abused Archer banned for two years

first_img(REUTERS) – New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has banned a spectator from attending international and domestic games in the country for two years after he admitted racially abusing England fast bowler Jofra Archer.NZC filed a complaint with the police after failing to “conclusively identify” a spectator who, as Archer explained on social media, had racially abused him during play on the final day of the first Test at the Bay Oval in November.“As a result of their inquiries, police have spoken to a 28-year-old Auckland man who subsequently admitted responsibility for the abuse,” said NZC in a statement on Monday. “He was issued with a verbal warning for using insulting language.“NZC have since contacted the man and have also written to him, advising of his ban from all international and domestic fixtures in New Zealand until 2022.”If the man attends a fixture and breaches his ban, he will be removed from the venue and may face further legal action.“We’d again like to extend our apologies to Jofra and the England team management for such an unsavoury incident and reiterate once more that this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable,” said NZC spokesperson Anthony Crummy. “We want to thank the NZ Police for their efforts in identifying the person responsible, and for making it clear that this type of behaviour will not be minimised.”He added that NZC would continue to treat offensive language and behaviour seriously, with anti-racist messages to be posted on signs around the grounds, on the big screen, as well as being delivered by announcers at matches.Also, spectators at all New Zealand venues will be encouraged to use NZC’s text alert system to notify ground security of any anti-social behaviour, including racist taunts and abuse.last_img read more

Mexico threatens to file lawsuits if Guard troops detain migrants

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsMigrant groups estimate 500 people died trying to cross the border in 2005. The Border Patrol reported 473 deaths as of Sept. 30. Sending the National Guard “will not stop the flow of migrants, to the contrary, it will probably go up,” as people try to get into the U.S. with hopes of applying for a possible amnesty program, said Julieta Nunez Gonzalez, the Ciudad Juarez representative of Mexico’s National Immigration Institute. Along the border in Nuevo Laredo, Carlos Gonzalez, a 23-year old from Mexico’s southern state of Chiapas, was waiting for a chance to swim across the river into Texas. He said soldiers would not stop him getting to a construction job he had lined up in North Carolina. “Desperation gives one a lot of willpower. If they stop me 20 times, I’ll arrive on the 21st,” Gonzalez said resting on a street corner outside a migrant shelter. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico – Mexico warned Tuesday it would file lawsuits in U.S. courts if National Guard troops detain migrants on the border, and some officials said they fear the crackdown will force illegal crossers into more perilous areas to avoid detection. President George W. Bush announced Monday that he will send 6,000 National Guard troops to the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border, but said the troops will provide intelligence and surveillance support to U.S. Border Patrol agents and will not catch and detain illegal immigrants. “If there is a real wave of rights abuses, if we see the National Guard starting to directly participate in detaining people … we would immediately start filing lawsuits through our consulates,” Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said in an interview with a Mexico City radio station. Mexican officials worry the increased security at the U.S. border will lead to more deaths. Since the bolstered surveillance at crossing spots in Texas and California in 1994, migrants have flooded Arizona’s hard-to-patrol desert and deaths have spiked. last_img read more