Additional $63M in Aid Approved for Puerto Rico

first_img Previous: Rule Could Have ‘Devastating’ Impact on Brokers Next: A Proactive Approach to Loss Mitigation Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Additional $63M in Aid Approved for Puerto Rico Sign up for DS News Daily Related Articles February 12, 2020 1,320 Views Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Central Office for Recovery, Reconstruction, and Resilience announced an additional $63 million in aid will be sent to Puerto Rico. Funds will be used for 56 projects related to the recovery and reconstruction of the island as it works to rebuild following January’s earthquakes and Hurricane Maria. More than $6.2 billion has been approved for Puerto Rico under FEMA’s Public Assistance Program. “FEMA and [Central Office for Recovery and Reconstruction] remain focused on prioritizing obligations of funds to municipalities for eligible expenses related to hurricanes Irma and Maria to help communities recover,” FEMA stated in a release. The agency also states many projects during this phase of the recovery are for architectural and engineering design, which may open the door to funding opportunities for larger projects in the future. FEMA says funds help to reduce the “damage-rebuild-damage” cycle that comes with restoring structures to pre-disaster conditions. The Associated Press reported last month that Puerto Rico’s government hopes to relocate all of the families impacted by January’s magnitude 6.4 earthquake that destroyed or damaged nearly 1,700 homes.Ongoing tremors have forced re-inspections of more than 7,000 homes that engineers already visited. “We know we still have a lot of work ahead of us,” Puerto Rico Gov. Wanda Vázquez said. “No one was prepared.”The report states that a total of 4,600 people remain in shelters along Puerto Rico’s southern coast. Vasquez, however, said the majority did not report any damage in their house and were scared to return home due to continuing shakes. Three hundred homes were destroyed and another 1,390 damaged by the quake, according to the Associated Press. Alex Amparo, Puerto Rico’s coordinating officer, said $3.8 million has been approved to help affected by the quake. Information from Global Property Guide found that the island’s housing market is recovering, as its seasonally-adjusted purchase-only house price index rose 10.59% year-over-year as of Q3 2019. Quarter over quarter, though, house prices fell by 2.66% in Q3 2019. Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago About Author: Mike Albanese The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days agocenter_img Share Save Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Tagged with: Natural Disasters Puerto Rico  Print This Post Home / Daily Dose / Additional $63M in Aid Approved for Puerto Rico Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Mike Albanese is a reporter for DS News and MReport. He is a University of Alabama graduate with a degree in journalism and a minor in communications. He has worked for publications—both print and online—covering numerous beats. A Connecticut native, Albanese currently resides in Lewisville. Natural Disasters Puerto Rico 2020-02-12 Mike Albanese Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago in Daily Dose, Featured, Loss Mitigation, News Subscribelast_img read more

Kerala High Court Stays Government Orders For Regularizing Temporary/Contract Employees

first_imgNews UpdatesKerala High Court Stays Government Orders For Regularizing Temporary/Contract Employees LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK4 March 2021 8:31 AMShare This – xIn an interim order, the Kerala High Court on Thursday directed a halt on the Government Order regularising the services of those who completed ten years of service in semi-government and various government departments. A Bench of Justice Devan Ramachandran issued the direction, observing that a prima facie case had been disclosed to admit the writ petition jointly filed by 31…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginIn an interim order, the Kerala High Court on Thursday directed a halt on the Government Order regularising the services of those who completed ten years of service in semi-government and various government departments. A Bench of Justice Devan Ramachandran issued the direction, observing that a prima facie case had been disclosed to admit the writ petition jointly filed by 31 petitioners who were included in rank lists prepared by the Kerala Public Service Commission. The petitioners challenged the Kerala State Government’s decision to regularise the services of temporary employees in government and semi-government organisations. The petitioners, represented by Senior Advocate George Poonthottam and Advocates Arun Chandran, Nisha George and AL Navaneeth Krishnan, sought a stay of the government orders. They also sought a direction that the temporary/contract employees sought to be regularized should be allowed to continue only on daily-wage or contract basis.An additional prayer made was that all temporary appointments be made from the rank list prepared by the State Public Services Commission based on qualification and eligibility until the writ proceedings were closed. Directing that the allotments made pursuant to the order be deferred, the Court adjourned the matter till 12 March. The State Attorney and the Standing Counsel for the various respondent-organisations sought time to file counter-pleadings in the meanwhile. The issue of ‘backdoor appointments’ has kicked up a political storm in the poll-bound state, which witnessed intense protests by rank-listed persons seeking public employment. Click here to read/download the orderNext Storylast_img read more

Tiger Woods files motion to dismiss wrongful death lawsuit

first_imgTiger Woods has filed a motion to dismiss the wrongful death suit filed by the family of a bartender at his Florida restaurant.Nicholas Immesberger worked at The Woods Jupiter, and the lawsuit claims the golfer, his girlfriend who was the general manager and the staff knew he was an alcoholic and allowed him to drive drunk after a shift in December.Immesberger died in a crash, and attorneys for his family say the restaurant destroyed evidence showing him drinking for three hours before he left.In his motion to dismiss, Woods claims he has no connection to the incident.Additionally, he claims that he is an investor in a company that owns The Woods, but doesn’t work at or own the restaurant and wasn’t there the day of the crash.Related content:Tiger Woods and Girlfriend Accused of Over-serving Alcohol and Destroying Evidence at Jupiter Restaurantlast_img read more