Court hears Dundon ordered murder from prison cell

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Linkedin Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp NewsBreaking newsCrime & CourtCourt hears Dundon ordered murder from prison cellBy Staff Reporter – May 12, 2014 1178 Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Previous articleBull ring at the Big TopNext article#Video Donald Trump arrives in Shannon Airport Staff Reporter center_img Print Andrew Carey at Special Criminal CourtSign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] MURDER trial has heard that a former McCarthy Dundon gang member was asked to be a getaway driver for a man who would “whack” Limerick businessman Steve Collins at his pub in the city over five years ago.31 year old Gareth Keogh Collins told the court that he was approached by one of the accused men, 24-year-old Nathan Killeen and asked if he was interested in driving a car and he would get paid €20,000. In his evidence at the special criminal court this Monday, Gareth Collins said that he was handed a phone by Killeen and Wayne Dundon was on the line enquiring how he was and if he was working. Collins said that he was asked to drive Nathan up the road to the steering wheel pub and Nathan would go in and “whack Steve the father”, then he would drive Nathan back. It would be a “two minute job”, he was told. The three judge non jury court heard that the 31-year-old, who has 12 months of a seven and half year prison sentence left to serve, told Dundon that he didn’t want to have anything to do with it. Dundon, Collins said, snapped in his prison cell at Wheatfields where he was on the mobile phone, and threatened him to do the job. Collins said he didn’t want to have anything to do with it and have back the phone to Killeen. In his continued evidence, Gareth Collins said how he first met Wayne Dundon in Cork Prison when the two were sharing a double cell together. Collins was serving a five years sentence for possession of a gun and Dundon on remand for threatening to kill members of Steve Collins’ family. The 31-year-old said that on the day Dundon was sentenced to ten years for the threats, the feared gangland figure cried in his cell as he spoke to his wife Ann Casey on the phone. Collins said that Dundon said he vowed to his wife that he wouldn’t let Steve Collins and his family get away with this. Michael O’Higgins SC for the State said that this went to the “motive of Wayne Dundon”. Gareth Collins, in his evidence, gave further details of conversations with the accused men in the lead up to the murder and as to sightings of Nathan Killeen and James Dillon in the immediate aftermath. Remy Farrell SC and counsel for Wayne Dundon spent the remainder of this Monday afternoon dissecting and attempting to discredit the evidence of Collins whom he said was lying. Earlier, Steve Collins gave evidence of finding his son bent over on his hands and knees after being shot. He told the court that his son remained conscious but was in severe pain and found it hard to breath. Roy Collins said he didn’t know who shot him. Gardai and emergency medical staff also gave evidence of finding and treating Roy Collins before he lost consciousness and died later in hospital. The case continues before the three female judges with Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley presiding. Full coverage of the trial in this week’s Limerick Post. No vaccines in Limerick yet Facebook Email First Irish death from Coronavirus Advertisement TAGSfeaturedmurdersteve collinsWayne Dundon last_img read more

IEEFA Energy Finance 2016: ‘End Game’ for Coal Imports in India

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Jai Sharda, a Mumbai-based IEEFA energy consultant, said in an afternoon presentation at Energy Finance 2016 that the government of India will probably achieve its goals of doubling wind-energy capacity by 2021 and increasing solar-energy capacity 10-fold by then.Sharda said the rapid rise of renewables combined with policy shifts at the government-owned Coal—including “huge growth in coal production domestically”—will create an “end game” for coal imports into India.He noted that solar tariffs in India have dropped 25 percent in the past 12 months—making solar energy more affordable for more people. He reported also that more than three gigawatts of solar capacity have been added over the past year and that the government is pushing for an additional twelve gigawatts of solar capacity in 2017.“It is not outside the realm of possibility,” Sharda said. IEEFA Energy Finance 2016: ‘End Game’ for Coal Imports in Indialast_img read more

USC locks down amid Ferguson protests

first_img Razan Al Marzouqi | Daily Trojan Razan Al Marzouqi | Daily Trojan Razan Al Marzouqi | Daily Trojan Razan Al Marzouqi | Daily Trojan Razan Al Marzouqi | Daily Trojan Razan Al Marzouqi | Daily Trojan For more photos and videos, visit our gallery here.The USC campus was briefly put on lockdown Monday night following a large contingent of protesters marching near the university on Figueroa Street. The demonstrators were protesting following a Missouri grand jury decision to not indict police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal Aug. 9 shooting of black teenager Michael Brown.The campus lockdown occurred from roughly 10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. All university gates were closed, and students were not allowed to enter or exit campus.The protest began in the Leimert Park section of Los Angeles after the grand jury decision was announced at approximately 6:30 p.m.  Dept. of Public Safety Captain Ed Palmer and Chief John Thomas were in attendance monitoring the situation prior to the grand jury announcement.“Captain Palmer and I, we both were at Leimert Park. The crowd was peaceful protesting, and they decided to walk,” Thomas said. “It just got bigger, a lot bigger.”As the protest grew, it marched in the direction of USC. The demonstrations eventually reached the southeast border of campus at the intersection of Exposition Boulevard and Figueroa Street shortly before 10 p.m.DPS had prior preparations to conduct a modified closure of campus if demonstrators approached the university, according to Deputy Chief David Carlisle. Thomas also mentioned that extra officers were dispatched around campus in order to prevent potential vandalism and trespassing of campus grounds.Some students who were stuck on campus expressed discontent with the lockdown.“I thought it was pretty frustrating because it was a peaceful protest and they were locking us down on campus as a form of protection,” said Jennifer Binley, a senior majoring in international relations who was in the Ronald Tutor Campus Center when the lockdown began. “I thought it was kind of ridiculous because it’s going to be an important part of our history and the fact they weren’t letting us see it or even let us participate was frustrating.”But not all students were kept from the march. Passing protesters were heard chanting “out of the dorms and into the streets” as they passed nearby off-campus apartments, and some USC students joined the demonstration. One student participant, Jon Sine, said he was there to demonstrate unity with the marchers.“I’m tired of police brutality, and I want to show solidarity,” Sine said, who is a junior majoring in political economy. “This isn’t a one race issue, this is an issue for all within the United States.”As of press time at 11:30 p.m. Nov. 24, the protesters had moved to the Interstate 110 freeway.Jordyn Holman and Joseph Chen contributed to this report.last_img read more