US sets one-day record with more than 60,500 COVID cases, Americans divided

first_img“It’s just disheartening because the selfishness of [not wearing a mask] versus the selflessness of my staff and the people in this hospital who are putting themselves at risk, and I got COVID from this,” said Dr. Andrew Pastewski, ICU medical director at Jackson South Medical Center in Miami.”You know, we’re putting ourselves at risk and other people aren’t willing to do anything and in fact go the other way and be aggressive to promote the disease. It’s really, it’s really hard,” he said.Stephanie Porta, 41, a lifelong Orlando, Florida, resident, said only about half the shoppers at her grocery store wore masks, though that was more than she saw two weeks ago.”They’re trying to make everything seem normal, when it’s not. People are dying, people are getting sick. It’s insane,” she said. More than 60,500 new COVID-19 infections were reported across the United States on Thursday, according to a Reuters tally, setting a one-day record as weary Americans were told to take new precautions and the pandemic becomes increasingly politicized.The total represents a slight rise from Wednesday, when there were 60,000 new cases, and marks the largest one-day increase by any country since the pandemic emerged in China last year.As infections rose in 41 of the 50 states over the last two weeks, Americans have become increasingly divided on issues such as the reopening of schools and businesses. Orders by governors and local leaders mandating face masks have become particularly divisive. Florida on Thursday announced nearly 9,000 new cases and 120 new coronavirus deaths, a record daily increase in lives lost.Governor Ron DeSantis called the rising cases a “blip” and urged residents not to be afraid.”I know we’ve had a lot of different blips,” DeSantis said. “We’re now at a higher blip than where we were in May and the beginning of June.”Florida is one of the few states that does not disclose the number of hospitalized COVID patients. But more than four dozen Florida hospitals reported their intensive care units reached full capacity earlier this week.In Texas a group of bar owners sued Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, saying his June 26 order closing them down violates the state constitution, the Dallas Morning News reported.Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Thursday that keeping schools closed would be a greater risk to children’s health than reopening them.California and Texas, the two most populous states, announced record increases in COVID deaths on Wednesday.California has seen cases and hospitalizations surge, even though it imposed one of the strictest lockdowns. After several lawmakers and staffers at the state Capitol in Sacramento were infected, lawmakers said the legislature would not return from summer break until July 27.Riverside University Health System, east of Los Angeles, expanded its 44-bed intensive care unit after it filled up with patients.”It’s been very consistent every day in the last couple of weeks. Every day has been like a full moon,” Riverside emergency room physician Stephanie Loe said, referring to doctors’ beliefs that a full moon brings more patients to the emergency room.Governors in California, Florida and Texas have either ruled out forced business closures and quarantines or called them a last resort. But Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti warned he would impose a new stay-at-home order in two weeks if the latest surge did not ease. The rise in infections also weighed on the stock market Thursday on fears of new lockdowns, which would take a toll on the economic recovery. The Dow and the S&P 500 ended down about 1%.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Bravo keeping fit during COVID-19 shutdown

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, (CMC) – A decision to invest in cricket nets at his home has paid dividends for West Indies marquee left-hander, Darren Bravo, especially with the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic having halted competitive cricket in the Caribbean.The 31-year-old, who recently returned to the West Indies side for the one-day tour of Sri Lanka, said he had been able to stay fit during the break so as to be ready for whenever domestic or international cricket resumed.“A couple months ago I decided to build my own cricket nets at my home. I invested in a bowling machine and stuff like that,” Bravo said.“So I’ve been training. My brother (Dwayne Bravo) comes across from time to time and we do some physical training as well but more so I tend to spend a lot of time in the nets with the bowling machine …“So things have been working out. I’m just trying to stay as fit as possible and trying to improve on my skills as much as possible. Hopefully we can be back out pretty soon.”Cricket West Indies (CWI) has put a pause on its domestic itinerary because of the outbreak and maybe forced to cancel some international series if the pandemic continues to impact the region.Bravo remains one of West Indies’ most experienced batsman with 54 Tests and 113 One-Day Internationals under his belt.However, he was dropped last October for tours of Afghanistan and India following a poor run of form, resulting from a protracted layoff owing to a public spat with former Cricket West Indies president, Dave Cameron.He scored heavily in both the recent Super50 Cup and the first class championship and though he never got going in the three-match series against the Sri Lankans, an 88-ball hundred in a warm-up against a Sri Lanka Cricket XI was enough to convince many of his return to form.“I had the opportunity to go back and play in the Super50 and I think I did well,” Bravo said.“I think the opportunity to come back play more cricket and spend more time out in the middle, that did a lot for me and gave me a lot of confidence to move forward.”He added: “[There were] not ideal performances [in Sri Lanka] but I think the camaraderie and the way we went about playing Sri Lanka, I think [captain] Kieron Pollard and [coach] Phil Simmons are doing a fantastic job.“All in all, the team is coming along nicely. Obviously the people in the team is our strong point but having said that, the team is gelling nicely and I’m sure in the not too distant future as long as we continue playing as a team and keep believing in ourselves, things can change for us.”last_img read more

Blake in, then forced out of quarterfinals

first_imgOn Friday, Blake received an early-morning call from ATP officials informing him of the reversal. He said later he had been preparing for a quarterfinal match. “No, I didn’t understand the rule the way it was explained to me,” Blake said. “I wish I would have known it before I went on the court. “If we are talking about this in a legal sense, Evgeny has more of a right to be in the quarterfinals than I do.” ATP chairman and president Etienne de Villiers initially ruled that Blake would have won his round-robin group if del Potro hadn’t retired. But a review of the rules found that an incomplete match can’t count as a match played for the retiring player. That eliminated del Potro based on the tiebreaker procedure and moved Korolev ahead based on his win over Blake in their round-robin match. ATP officials released a statement blaming the confusion on “an incorrect variation of ATP rules.” Blake had been awarded a quarterfinal spot after Argentine player Juan Martin del Potro withdrew Thursday because of respiratory problems during a match with Blake leading, 6-3, 3-1. Blake said that he felt bad for fans who had come out for the quarterfinals expecting to see him play a match against Querrey. He said that he hopes he has a future role in helping to alleviate this problem. “A possible flaw in the rules has been exposed in this round-robin format which will weigh very heavily in a couple of weeks at our (ATP Tour) meetings in Miami,” Blake said. “Unfortunately, it forced me out of the tournament, but hopefully some good will come out of it with the revamping, or possibly the destruction, of the round-robin system. Anything that happens is OK with me.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img LAS VEGAS – Top-seeded James Blake was removed from the quarterfinals of the Tennis Channel Open on Friday after ATP Tour officials reversed a ruling that had allowed him to advance because of a competitor’s withdrawal during round-robin play. Evgeny Korolev took Blake’s place in the quarterfinals and defeated Sam Querrey, 6-4, 6-4 . last_img read more