Solomon Trader Refloated, Destined for Scrapyard

first_imgThe ill-fated bulker Solomon Trader has been successfully refloated in the Solomon Islands, Korea Protection and Indemnity Club (KP&I) said.The operation was completed on May 11, 2019, and the 73,592 dwt bulker is currently undergoing assessments.As informed, Solomon Trader remains anchored in deeper waters away from the reef where it grounded, enabling divers to assess hull damage.The Panamax bulk carrier is in a stable condition, the vessel’s protection indemnity insurer added.Once the salvage inspections, seaworthiness repairs and the cargo discharge are completed, the 1994-built bulker is planned to be towed for scrapping.KP&I and the vessel owner, King Trader, are to continue cooperation with the Solomon Islands government as shore cleaning progresses.Chartered by Bintan Mining and loaded with nearly 11,000 tons of bauxite, Solomon Trader initially grounded on a reef off Rennell Island in the Solomon Islands, near a UNESCO World Heritage site, during an unexpected gale event on February 5.The attempts to remove the vessel were hampered by the arrival of Cyclone Oma on February 10, which pushed the stricken vessel harder into the reef, resulting in engine room damage and the subsequent oil spill.Onboard power was lost and the vessel was ransacked by locals, with key equipment stolen and damaged. This impacted efforts to commence an emergency response, as explained by KP&I.The owner despatched a salvage expert to the location on February 10 to monitor the vessel’s condition. International salvage experts Resolve Marine Group were also appointed to oversee the Solomon Trader incident response.Many response experts and specialized equipment from across the globe subsequently arrived.last_img read more

Take back bad pupils, schools told

first_imgNZ Herald 18 July 2013Figures raise concerns ministry is putting on pressure to accept potentially dangerous students.More than 100 schools that kicked out students for bad behaviour, including arson, physical assaults and drug use, have been made to re-enrol the same students again.From 2003 to 2012 there were 163 incidences where a school was directed by the Ministry of Education to take back a student the school had previously excluded or expelled. In some cases primary school students were asked to leave following harmful or dangerous behaviour, including assaults on staff and classmates.The figures have raised concerns that schools are being pressured into accepting potentially dangerous students who shouldn’t be in mainstream education. Family First NZ, which received the figures from the Ministry of Education, said schools were pressured to ignore dangerous behaviour.“Schools are having no choice but to accept students who should not be in mainstream education at the moment,” said Bob McCoskrie, national director of Family First NZ. “The rights of children and teachers to be safe are being sacrificed in favour of the rights of students who place other children at risk.”However, principals associations have sympathised with the Ministry of Education, saying the measure is a rarely used last resort.The release of the figures comes after a high-profile backtrack last month by the ministry on the case of Paeroa Central School. It had instructed the school to re-enrol a 10-year-old who had assaulted a teacher and told other students he would “cut them up with a knife”.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10899563last_img read more

Drought ends at Seymour for Lance Arneson

first_imgBy Dave PanskeSEYMOUR, Wis. (Aug. 30) – Lance Arneson won his first Budweiser IMCA Modified feature at Seymour Speedway since June 12 of 2011 Sunday night.Arneson worked from the second row and into the lead after the opening lap followed by Trevor Spaulding, Jerry Wilinski, Chad Guyette, Rob Charapata and Konnor Wilinski.   A spin brought out the only caution of the race on lap 2, and Arneson continued to set the pace after the restart.Jerry Wilinski moved into the runner-up spot and point leader Eric Scribner followed into third. On lap 5, Scribner took over the second spot with Eric Arneson and Chad Bartel moving forward.Scribner closed in on the leader but after a couple laps, Arneson settled into a solid pattern on the out­side, Scribner did the same on the inside and the margins stayed pretty much unchanged to the finish. Bartel ran out of laps to mount a serious challenge and finished third.Travis Van Straten was finally able to inch ahead and finally into sole procession of the lead on lap 16 of the Coors Light IMCA Stock Car feature and drove off to collect his eighth local feature win and 31st for the season.Chas Van Ooyen came home second with Kyle Frederick third.Jeremy Cota took over the top spot on lap 11, then sped off and collected his fourth straight fea­ture win and eighth local O’Reilly Auto Parts IMCA Northern SportMod victory of the season.Travis Arenz worked by on the final lap to take second from Russell Franks, who completed his strongest finish in third.last_img read more

Yankees may use opener at times in 2019, manager Aaron Boone says

first_imgEight of those opener games came against the Yankees, so Boone saw first-hand how the strategy works.Tampa Bay’s success led to other teams copying the idea. The A’s, Rangers and Twins all experimented with an opener in September, and Oakland went as far as using Liam Hendriks to open its American League wild-card game against the Yankees in New York. Hendriks allowed a two-run homer to Aaron Judge in the first inning and New York went on to a 7-2 victory.The Giants may use an opener to protect some of their younger starters this season, but veteran San Francisco starters Jeff Samardzija and Madison Bumgarner are vocal opponents. “In a long stretch of games and you wanted to give a guy an extra day. [Or] you felt like it’s a little softer landing for some guys to let them start from the back end of the lineup and give them a time and a half through,” Boone said, per ESPN.com.New York may begin the season without ace Luis Severino (shoulder inflammation) or fifth starter CC Sabathia (heart, knee). That would open the door to internal fill-in options such as Jonathan Loaisiga and Domingo German. Both started games for New York last season as rookies.Boone’s reasoning tracks with the rationale the division-rival Rays used last season to employ an opener.Under the concept, a relief pitcher is called upon to record the game’s first three to six outs, and a starter or long reliever is generally asked to go through the batting order two to 2 1/2 times before handing the ball to the late-inning relief corps. RIVERA: How the Yankees should fill the hole created by Severino’s injuryTampa Bay used a designated opener 55 times last season, going 32-23 in those games. It settled into a loose pattern in the final two months: Ryne Stanek, Diego Castillo or Hunter Wood opening, and Ryan Yarbrough, Yonny Chirinos or Jalen Beeks throwing into the fifth, sixth or seventh inning. Add the Yankees to the list of MLB teams that will dabble in using an opener in 2019.Manager Aaron Boone told reporters Wednesday that injuries in the rotation, a desire to give starters extra rest and shielding younger pitchers from facing top hitters would be the team’s reasons for using the strategy.last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Thursday, March 13, 2014

first_imgWellington Police notes for Thursday, March 13, 2014:•11:51 a.m. Officers investigated an injury accident at 4th and G, involving vehicles operated by Cynthia L. Anderson, 50, Wellington and Carol L. Norris, 79, Wellington.•12:20 p.m. Cynthia L. Anderson, 50, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with failure to yield right of way.•3:16 p.m. Non-Injury accident in the 1100 block E. Crusader, Wellington involving vehicles operated by juvenile male, 16, Wellington, and juvenile male, 16, Wellington; juvenile male 17, Wellington; juvenile male, 16, Wellington and juvenile male, Wellington.•3:17 p.m. Juvenile male, 16, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with inattentive driving.•3:23 p.m. Officers took a report of a mental subject in the 1400 block W. 8th, Wellington.•4:51 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1400 block Superior Court, Wellington.•9:24 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of appliances in the 800 block E. 4th, Wellington. •10 p.m. Tina M. Morningstar-Moralez,  34, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with defective headlight.•10:05 p.m. Melissa D. O’Neal, 45, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with no headlights and no proof of insurance.last_img read more

Army wounded fight for better health care

first_imgWASHINGTON (AP) – Substandard living conditions found at the Army’s flagship veterans hospital likely exist throughout the military health care system, the head of a House panel investigating Walter Reed Army Medical Center said Monday. “We need a sustained focus here, and much more needs to be done,” Rep. John Tierney said of a scandal enveloping Walter Reed. Charges of bureaucratic delays and poor treatment there have produced calls in Congress for quick reform. Tierney said he is afraid “these problems go well beyond the walls of Walter Reed,” adding that “as we send more and more troops into Iraq and Afghanistan, these problems are only going to get worse, not better.” A House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee hearing Monday at the hospital brought a wide range of apologies from top-level Army officers and the Army’s No. 2 civilian. “We have let some soldiers down,” said Peter Geren, the undersecretary of the Army. Tierney, D-Mass., chairman of the panel, questioned whether problems at the facility are “just another horrific consequence” of inadequate planning that went into war in Iraq; a problem created by contracting out work there to private business, or some other cause. “This is absolutely the wrong way to treat our troops, and serious reforms need to happen… immediately,” he said. Geren, who will become acting Army secretary later this week, told the panel that the revelations of poor conditions at Walter Reed had hurt the Army. Defense Secretary Robert Gates forced Army Secretary Francis Harvey to resign last week and he leaves his post on Friday. Two former commanders at the facility said they accepted responsibility for the failures. Maj. Gen. George W. Weightman, head of Walter Reed from August until he was fired last week said: “You can’t fail one of these soldiers … not one. And we did.” Lt. Gen. Kevin C. Kiley, Army surgeon general and head of Walter Reed until 2004, apologized for what he called housing conditions that did “not meet our standards.” He said renovations were under way. He also said a team had been sent to some 11 other installations around the country to make sure there are not similar housing problems. Regarding bureaucratic delays, Kiley said the system for outpatient care is “complex, confusing and frustrating” and that more doctors, nurses and other staff are being brought in to lower the case load and so speed the process. Lawmakers listened closely as several patients came to the hearing with stories of lax or poor treatment at Walter Reed: Staff Sgt. John Daniel Shannon, who lost his left eye and suffered traumatic brain injuries from a rifle wound, said that after he was discharged from Walter Reed, he was given a map of the grounds and eventually found his way to outpatient quarters by wandering around and asking for directions. Then, he says, he “sat in my room for a couple of weeks wondering when someone would contact” him about continuing treatment. “My biggest concern is having young men and women who have had their lives shattered in service to their country … get taken care of,” Shannon said. Annette McLeod told the committee that her husband, Cpl. Wendell McLeod, was originally sent to the wrong hospital after he was hit in the head with a steel door in Iraq and also suffered a head injury. Once at Walter Reed, she said, he suffered delays in getting outpatient tests and treatment. “My life was ripped apart the day that my husband was injured,” she told the panel tearfully. The experience at Walter Reed made it “worse than anything I’ve had to sacrifice in my life.” Addressing war veterans on Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney promised that the problems at Walter Reed will be fixed. “There will be no excuses – only action,” Cheney told a gathering of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. “And the federal bureaucracy will not slow that action down.” Weightman said several systems set up to monitor patient complaints and opinions had failed to uncover the problems. An anonymous survey at the end of January, for instance, showed patient satisfaction with case workers and physicians at 90 percent, he said. “Almost none of these issues were raised,” he said. “That’s obviously a failure … get the feedback we need.” The controversy started last month with a series of stories in The Washington Post, but lawmakers said reports of the failures go back several years. Rep. Henry A. Waxman, D-Calif., said that in addition to several government audits, there was a February 2005 Salon magazine story on poor conditions at the hospital’s psychiatric ward; a 2006 report on problems screening people with brain injuries and a 2005 think tank report criticizing the complex disability program. ‘My question is: Where have you been?” Tierney asked, when the third panel of witnesses took their seats at the witness table. They were Geren, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker, and his vice chief, Gen. Richard Cody. “We’ve got all these reports with all these alarm bells going off … and the information doesn’t seem to get up the line of command,” said Waxman. In a letter Sunday to Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., asked for an independent commission, possibly headed by former Secretary of State Colin Powell, to investigate all post-combat medical facilities and recommend changes. President Bush last week had ordered a comprehensive review of conditions. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

FIFA probes Russia over racist chants

first_img“We have no further comment at this stage,” the FIFA spokesman told AFP.The Russian Football Union (RFU) said it was ready to cooperate with FIFA’s probe.“We launched our own internal investigation the day after the match,” RFU anti-discrimination officer Alexander Baranov said.“All international matches are played under the jurisdiction of FIFA. We opened it to understand what happened for ourselves. We have sent inquiries to the interior department.”Baranov added that the RFU was “in dialogue with FIFA. We are ready to send them our findings — there is no problem there”.Russian football chiefs are under pressure with just two months to go before the start of the World Cup on June 14 as the domestic game has been once again tarnished by incidents of racism and hooliganism.“These people should not be allowed into stadiums. They should not be giving the world reason to think there is racism in our country,” added Alexei Smertin, head of the RFU’s anti-discrimination department.During last month’s friendly, an AFP photographer heard imitation monkey noises aimed at Dembele, while internet users reported similar abuse from sections of the 50,000 crowd targeting Pogba.– Scepticism –The RFU’s initial response was sceptical — claiming they had heard nothing — but the country’s governing body then did launch its own investigation.FIFA followed suit after French Sports Minister Laura Flessel, a two-time Olympic fencing champion, called for “European and international” action.The Russian parliament’s deputy speaker, Igor Lebedev, blasted inaction in the country over racism and called on “fans to stop this”.“This is not just a problem with our fans’ perception of African American and black players,” he had said.“The problem is elsewhere: none of this bad behaviour will stop until we start punishing it.”Lebedev insisted that such incidents taking place during the World Cup would “embarrass the country”.But Deputy Prime Mister Vitaly Mutko played down the incident, saying that monkey chants heard at the game “do not mean that this was some sort of organised act of racism”.“There might be elements of it,” said Mutko, who has temporarily stepped down from his role as RFU president.“Around 50,000 people turn up for games and there could be some provocations,” Mutko added.Black players have complained in the past of being subjected to racial abuse in Russian football. Brazilian great Roberto Carlos, who played for Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala for one season, walked off the pitch in 2011 after a banana was thrown his way during a match.Another Brazilian, Hulk, who played for Zenit St Petersburg for four years, complained in 2015 that “nobody is paying attention to this problem”.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Midfielder Paul Pogba, second left, and Ousmane Dembele, third left, appear for France in a recent international friendly against England © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Apr 17 – FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against World Cup hosts Russia over monkey chants heard during a friendly international against France, a spokesman told AFP on Tuesday.Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba and Barcelona winger Ousmane Dembele were allegedly targeted by racist chanting during the match in Saint Petersburg last month.last_img read more