FIFA vice president ponders calendar year season in Europe

first_imgFIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani has said that moving the European soccer season to the calendar year is a “possibility to be discussed” in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.The pandemic has brought football to a standstill around the world. In an interview with Italy’s Radio Sportiva, Montagliani, who was seen as a close ally of FIFA President Gianni Infantino, said the move would fit in with the 2022 World Cup being played in Qatar in November and December.The head of world soccer’s governing body himself had said that football would be totally different when restarted, and that the current stoppage could be a good chance to overhaul the overloaded calendar due to run until 2024.“We have the opportunity because the World Cup in Qatar in 2022 will be played in November/December and that could be the idea,” said Montagliani, who is president of the CONCACAF Confederation.He added: “Here in the Americas, the season is already played according to the calendar year.“Perhaps, it is a solution that can also be used in Europe and Africa, it is a possibility to be discussed at national and continental levels. “It is not an idea to be discarded, it can be a solution in view of the next two years and this winter World Cup.”A number of European leagues, including Italy, Germany and England, still hope to finish their seasons but doing so can force the start of the 2020-21 campaign to be pushed back.UEFA also wants to finish the Champions League and Europa League.“We have already started thinking about how to set a new calendar from 2024, now with this crisis, we need immediate answers,” added Montagliani.The idea of a calendar-year season had been put forward before including by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge when he was Chairman of the European Club Association. “Everywhere, be it Germany, France or England, summer is the best period of the year. And that is the season we don’t play,” he had told France Football magazine in a 2013 interview.“In deepest winter, when it is very cold and snowing, we play nearly all the time in conditions that are disagreeable for both players and spectators.It is not logical.”Reuters/NAN.RelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 I was in best of forms before Tokyo Paralympics was postponed — Powerlifter Ejike Tags: Calender YearCoronavirusEuropean Soccer SeasonFIFAVice President Victor Montaglianilast_img read more

MTN FA Cup returns this weekend

first_imgThe MTN FA Cup returns at all the designated venues across the country this weekend with some exciting fixtures.The competition which enters its Round of 16 stage on Friday, will see the West Africa Football Academy (WAFA) hosting Emmanuel FC in an intriguing tie at the WAFA Park in Sogakope.WAFA ,who are yet to lose at home since returning to the top-flight, are expected to continue their fine form against  Emmanuel FC , who are bankrolled by Nigerian televangelist, Temitope Balogun Joshua.Another high-profile match involves Wa Rockets who will welcome Asokwa Deportivo to the Wa Stadium the same day.On Saturday, Storm Academy host Kumasi Asante Kotoko at the Nkawkaw Park, while giant-killers, FC Samartex 1996, who kicked out Hearts of Oak from the competition play Liberty Professionals at Samreboi.On Sunday, Okwawu United clash with Sekondi Hasaacas at Nkawkaw; Real Tamale United (RTU) host Bechem United at the Tamale Stadium, Wa All Stars welcome Mighty Royals to the Wa Stadium, and Elmina Sharks battle True Democracy at the Nduom Stadium in Elmina. —last_img read more

OYSTER FISHING BEDS RE-OPEN ON LOUGH FOYLE

first_imgThe Loughs Agency is to re-open two of the six main Oyster fishing Beds in Lough Foyle which had been closed for the last number of weeks.Minister Joe McHughMinister of State Joe Mc Hugh TD and Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development Michelle O’Neill MLA jointly welcomed the move.Minister Mc Hugh said “The decision to open the beds, from 15th to 19th December, will create potential opportunity to catch up to an additional 25 tonnes (up to a value of €125,000) of Oysters in time for the Christmas market”. “I believe we have achieved a good balance between economic opportunity for local fishermen with a dividend for the local communities and the conservation imperative” he addedMinisters had jointly raised the issue at a meeting with the Agency last Friday’s asking the Agency to review its decision to close the beds and the approach to the issue of Oysters in the Foyle.Ministers had stressed the importance of scientific advice and analysis and had also emphasised the importance of wider considerations such as the management approach, long term sustainability and the direct and current impact on communities and fishermen around the lough.Minister McHugh thanked the Agency, Chairman, Chief Executive and Staff for the re-appraisal of the decisions on closure and of the broader issues around the fishery and hoped that the Fishermen and the Agency would work collaboratively on a management structure for the longer term to ensure the enduring viability of the resource. “I want to emphasise that sustainability and safeguarding this natural resource in Lough Foyle are the shared responsibilities of all stakeholders including the licenced fishermen,” Minister Mc Hugh concluded. OYSTER FISHING BEDS RE-OPEN ON LOUGH FOYLE was last modified: December 11th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalLough FoyleMinister Joe McHughOyster bedslast_img read more