MS Dhoni retiring only speculation, no official word

first_img India Today Web Desk BirminghamJuly 3, 2019UPDATED: July 3, 2019 19:23 IST MS Dhoni’s form with the bat has been a cause for concern for India in the ongoing World Cup 2019 (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSMedia reports on Wednesday suggested MS Dhoni will retire after India’s World Cup campaignMS Dhoni retiring is only speculation at this stage, there is no official wordDhoni is India’s most successful captain and has won the T20 World Cup, ODI World Cup and Champions TrophySpeculation on MS Dhoni’s retirement began to grow after media reports suggested that the former India captain and legendary wicketkeeper will quit after India’s last match in the 2019 Cricket World Cup.However, India Today correspondents in England have confirmed this is only speculation and there is no official word on MS Dhoni’s retirement.Dhoni had retired from Test cricket in 2014 and stepped down as India’s limited-overs captain in January 2017. He has since been an integral memeber of India’s shorter formats teams.News agency PTI reported India’s last match in the World Cup could be MS Dhoni’s last for the country. However, there is no official confirmation.”If India qualify for the finals and go on to win the World Cup on July 14 at the Lord’s, it would be ideal setting for a fitting farewell to one of the legends of Indian cricket,” a PTI report said on Wednesday.”You never know with MS Dhoni. But it is unlikely that he will continue to play for India after this World Cup. But since his decisions to quit captaincy from the three formats have been taken so suddenly, it is very difficult to predict at the moment,” PTI quoted a senior BCCI official on condition of anonymity.The PTI report also said there was no word on Dhoni’s retirement from either the team management or BCCI.”However, with India qualifying for the semi-finals at the World Cup here, neither the team management nor the BCCI wants to talk about sensitive issue,” the PTI report stated.advertisementIn 8 matches so far in the World Cup, Dhoni has scored 223 runs in 7 innings at a strike rate of 93. However, he has taken flak for his inability to rotate strike and some said his innings have lacked intent.Here is what the PTI story further said: “With the likes of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly also being critical of his approach, the team management knows only too well that they can’t carry their “beloved captain” beyond the marquee tournament.”His on-field contribution is still immense as every player who has appeared for media interactions has pointed out”.”The team management had to take a call in 2017 after the Champions Trophy. They decided that they will invest another two years in Dhoni till the 2019 World Cup. India have reached the semi-finals despite his lukewarm performances so he has been carefully shielded,” PTI quoted a India player as saying. “No one can ask him to retire but obviously he has got the drift that post World Cup, things won’t be the same,” he [email protected] hello Sir, I am hearing too much about your retirement frm sources after WC I must tell you that there is no one other then you who can control the players in ground and play like Bhisma Pita. We want you to continue for atleast next worldcup and train someone like you.veer (@veer38911255) July 3, 2019And, this my friend, is no beauty of Indian cricket fans’. It’s sheer impatience & lack of perspective in your little minds. This we love & so we can hate’ phenomenon is absurd & insulting. You can’t start a retirement campaign’ every time a cricketer has an off day. @msdhoniNOOPUR (@XHeyWaitXItsMe) July 3, 2019Dhoni is a towering central part of the whole thinking in the Indian dressing room. He contributes & scores even when not scoring runs!Those who know cricket understand his presence,those who demand his retirement are ‘Online Lala Amarnaths’ ~#KingKohli @msdhoni #INDvsWI pic.twitter.com/LF3QI9KKblmukesh vig (@vigmukesh) June 27, 2019Why everyoneis blaming @msdhoniHe has contributed today and always. These r the last few matches of Dhoni assuming that he’s retiring @ end of the Worldcup.An era is going to end. Enjoy his presence while we’canAnother Dhoni Impossible!#ICCWorldCup2019 #DhoniForever#INDvBANNaman Mukhi (@naman_mukhi) July 2, 2019Also Read | MS Dhoni did what was right for the team, says Sachin TendulkarAlso Read | India vs Bangladesh: Fans slam MS Dhoni over another disappointing batting showAlso Read | Surprised that there are questions on Dhoni’s batting everyday: Sanjay BangarFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow MS DhoniFollow World Cup 2019Follow Team India Next MS Dhoni retiring only speculation, no official wordMS Dhoni has scored 223 runs in seven World Cup games at a decent strike rate of 93 plus if one goes by the scorecards but what they don’t reflect is his inability to rotate the strike and strike big.advertisementlast_img read more

Neary victims in limbo as they wait for government to do the

first_img“MICHAEL NEARY IS a dysfunctional individual who damaged women. Today he is a free agent, drawing a pension and we are left in limbo.”That was the opening statement from one of his patients at a press briefing this morning, the latest attempt by campaigners to encourage Health Minister James Reilly to resolve the issue of compensation for the 35 victims excluded from the Neary redress scheme.In February 2012, Reilly said his proposals for dealing with the sensitive situation were at an advanced stage and that his department were in talks with the Attorney General.Since then, the women have not received word of any further development.Campaigner Sheila O’Connor noted that although it has been 15 years since the story about Neary’s “bizarre practices” broke, “we still have 35 women injured and without compensation”.She said the victims have “strong medical supports” and there is no question about wrongdoing on Neary’s part. They were excluded from the initial redress scheme on technicalities following Judge Maureen Harding Clark’s 2004 deliberations. That system referred only to two narrow groups, one of which excluded all women over the age of 40. It compensated about 200 patients at a cost of more than €20 million.Marie Raeburn was 40 years and three days old when she underwent her surgery. Her womb and ovaries were removed unnecessarily.“I have been writing, phoning TDs. It is hard to be positive,” she told the room of reporters, supporters and fellow survivors at Buswell’s Hotel in Dublin.A meeting has been sought with the Minister and the Taoiseach but response letters from government have not addressed the request.“It really is just not OK,” continued O’Connor. “I’ve seen young women turn to mature women, and mature women turn to old women.“The women will tell you how bitterly disappointed they are. We believed [Reilly] – and we would have given him leeway.”A commitment to resolve the issue is included in the coalition’s Programme for Government.Horror storiesNeary was struck off the Medical Register in September 2003 following a lengthy hearing before the Medical Council. A series of investigations and inquires into his practices had started years earlier.The probes revealed that Neary performed negligent, damaging and unnecessary gynaecological procedures on a number women at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.The issue only came to light after two midwives working at the Maternity Unit raised concerns that the surgeon was carrying out an unusual number of caesarean hysterectomies. They also felt that some of his clinical practices were “out of date”.The Lourdes Hospital Inquiry was established by the Government in 2004 after which a large number of women were compensated. It found that since Neary began his work as an obstetrician in the hospital, the rate of casesarian hysterectomies was extremely high.Altogether he performed 129 such procedures which involve removing the woman’s womb shortly after she has given birth. The average for the majority of obstetricians’ career is about five, an RTÉ documentary revealed after investigating the case.Women have been compensated through both the redress scheme and through civil actions when the Statue of Limitations of two or three years allowed.The amounts varied from €80,000 to €300,000, depending on severity of situation, damage and number of children.The scheme established after the 2004 report has been described as “fair” and something the victims were “content” with. The only problem was the exclusions.“The number [35] has not risen,” maintains O’Connor. “The government does not have to worry about being overwhelmed by other people.”“We just want to get on with our lives…see closure,” adds Mary Packenham, who also sat at the top table at today’s conference. “It is constantly in the back of our minds so we can’t get on with our lives.”No showTwo years ago, a similar meeting organised by Patient Focus attracted representatives from each of Ireland’s political parties. Today, just one senator and one TD spoke up the conference room, a stone’s throw from Leinster House.“It is shameful,” O’Connor said at the top of the briefing.Labour Senator Mary Moran and her colleague, Louth TD Gerald Nash, echoed the sentiment. Nash said he was “deeply frustrated” at the lack of action, while Moran promised to continue pressurising Ministers on the matter. She also expressed disappointment that more of her party colleagues were not in attendance.What next?As the Statute of Limitations has run its course for all 35 women, civil action is not an option. Importantly, Michael Neary no longer has insurance.“The plan?” says O’Connor. “To stay here until we die.”Asked about the possibility of strong protest, the campaigners noted they were a small group “not into throwing stink bombs”.The power is in their argument and in the truth, they say. “We shouldn’t have to throw a tantrum in a democracy.”February 2012: Compensation on way for women excluded from Neary redress schemelast_img read more