Great British Break Off Mary Berry quits as BBC plots rival to

first_imgMary Berry arrives home in Buckinghamshire, after she announced that she will not join The Great British Bake Off on Channel 4 Berry said it had been a privilege and honour to be ‘part of seven years of magic in a tent’Credit:John Nguyen/JNVisuals  Berry, pictured arriving at her home in Buckinghamshire on Thursday, has vowed to stay with the BBCCredit:Hannah McKay /PA Paul Hollywood, Sue Perkins, Mary Berry and Mel Giedroyc Former Bake Off contestant Ruby Tandoh, who was wrongly accused of flirting with Hollywood when she was on the show in 2013, slammed Hollywood as a ‘peacocking manchild lingering wherever the money is’.In a series of tweets she wrote: ahhhhhh a peacocking manchild lingering wherever the money is, i am shocked— Ruby Tandoh (@rubytandoh) September 22, 2016 Hollywood said: “Since I was a kid, baking has been part of my life. The seven series inside the tent have created some great memories. Best of all, I have felt so pleased to experience other people getting the baking bug, just as I did when my dad helped me make my first loaf.“The Great British Bake Off has brought baking to the nation and we’ve seen people from all walks of life and backgrounds, experience the highs and lows of competition, and more importantly helping each other. Paul Hollywood, Sue Perkins, Mary Berry and Mel GiedroycCredit:Mark Bourdillon Mary Berry will step down as a judge on The Great British Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4 as the BBC plots a rival, it was revealed on Thursday.Berry bid “farewell to soggy bottoms” and said her decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to the broadcaster that gave the show its start.Meanwhile, fellow judge Paul Hollywood has announced he will make the move to Channel 4. The Telegraph understands he turned down a role on Top Gear to complete the switch.Berry said: “What a privilege and honour it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent – The Great British Bake Off. The Bake Off family – Paul, Mel and Sue have given me so much joy and laughter. “It’s been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn’t turn my back on all that – the bakers themselves, the bakes, the team that makes it, and of course the tent, the bunting, and who could forget… the squirrels.“So I am delighted that I will be continuing as a judge when Bake Off moves to Channel 4. I want to thank the BBC and Mel and Sue for making my time in the tent great fun and really rewarding.” “My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one.”I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision.”I wish the programme, crew and future bakers every possible success and I am so very sad not to be a part of it. Farewell to soggy bottoms.”Her decision follows the shock announcement by hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins to stay with the BBC. Mary Berry waves to photographers outside her home in Buckinghamshire The BBC is believed to have offered Love Productions, the producers of the popular baking show, £15 million a year to keep the programme.But the amount is reported to have fallen £10 million short of what the corporation would need to retain it.Channel 4 has signed a three-year agreement with Love Productions.The BBC had said it “made a very strong offer to keep the show but we are a considerable distance apart on the money”. Sue Perkins, left, and Mel Giedroyc, right, said they would not move to Channel 4Credit:BBC/Love Productions Hollywood was spotted arriving at Channel 4 for what has been described as a “secret meeting”.According to MailOnline the 50-year-old showed up at the channel’s London office in a blacked-out car – and waited to be chaperoned into the building via the back entrance.Charlotte Moore, director of BBC content, welcomed the baking queen’s decision, which comes after days of speculation about whether she will move. Sue Perkins, left, and Mel Giedroyc, right, said they would not move to Channel 4 Mary Berry waves to photographers outside her home in BuckinghamshireCredit:John Nguyen/JNVisuals  Mary Berry with her dog outside her home in Buckinghamshire on September 22 Perkins and Giedroyc released a joint statement last week to reveal they were not moving.”We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was,” they said. “The BBC nurtured the show from its infancy and helped give it its distinctive warmth and charm, growing it from an audience of two million to nearly 15 at its peak. ahhhhhh a peacocking manchild lingering wherever the money is, i am shocked— Ruby Tandoh (@rubytandoh) September 22, 2016 “We’ve had the most amazing time on Bake Off, and have loved seeing it rise and rise like a pair of yeasted Latvian baps.”We’re not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success.” “Mary is an extraordinary woman, loved and adored by the British public, and the BBC is her natural home,” Ms Moore said.”I’ve been very lucky to have had the pleasure of working with Mary over the last seven years and I’m so pleased that relationship will continue.”She is an inspiration to generations, a real icon and I can’t wait to cook up more unmissable shows with her in the future.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

Suspected bandits killed at Kingston Seawall were shot six times each

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedUPDATE: Three bandits killed, trying to rob bank customer at Kingston seawallMarch 15, 2018In “Crime”Acting Top Cop says Kingston seawall shooting justifiableMarch 19, 2018In “Crime”Crime Chief distances self from Police reports on background of slain banditsMarch 16, 2018In “Crime” A post mortem examination conducted on the remains of two of the suspected bandits; Kwame Assanah and Dextroy Cordis, has confirmed that they were both shot at least six times each with the bullets exiting their bodies.It is unclear how many times the third man, Errol Adams was shot.Dead: Dextroy CordisThe post-mortem examinations were conducted on the bodies of the three men on Monday.The three men were shot dead during an alleged shootout with the police on Thursday last at the Kingston Seawall just behind the GNS Ground.A source also told INews that based on the post mortem examination, it was confirmed that the bullets entered and exited the bodies of Assanah and Cordis. Assanah was shot five times to the chest and once to the upper right arm while Cordis was shot five times to the chest and upper body and once to the head.Now that the post mortem examinations have been concluded, there are more unanswered questions as to what really occurred on the day the men were shot and killed.Dead: Kwame AssanahThe vehicles used by the alleged banditsLaw enforcement officials are maintaining that the men were about to commit a robbery and the consequences could have been more severe if the Police did not take the action it took on the day in question.Acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine on Monday threw his support behind his ranks claiming the use of deadly force against the suspected bandits was justified. read more